Thursday, April 1, 2010

Old Vanity Fair Cover




Jean Auguste Ingres, Female nude, 1807 v. Vanity Fair 2008 cover featuring Miley Cyrus and photographed by Annie Leibovitz

I know this is incredibly out-dated and an old topic but I was looking at Ingres today and this came to mind. I flipped the photo of Miley horizontally to emphasize the similarities. This comparison seemed perfect to me as Ingres himself has said he's used young models for different nude works. His famous Grand Odalisque was said to have the face and influences of 12 year old with the body of a 30 year old. I have always loved Lebovitz and I do think this photo is stunningly beautiful despite its Lolita-like implications (Im going to have to disagree with using a then-15-year-old as the model). The distinct difference between the two works that can't be reconciled is Ingres' habit of portraying female backs in an anatomically incorrect and other-worldly manner. Whereas you can clearly tell that Miley Cyrus is human and proportional.

No comments:

Post a Comment